Saturday, August 30, 2008

Fishing in Seward



On Memorial Day weekend, Jacob's co-worker and friend, Coach Trujillo, took us out to fish on Resurrection Bay in Seward. The weather forecast said the weather would be perfect... and it was! The five of us along with Coach Trujillo and his wife arrived in Seward at about noon or so. We put the boat in the water and "trolled" for silver salmon. The fish were jumping left and right, but we didn't catch any (remember, it's called "fishing", not "catching"!). We did see some otters and lots of cool birds though, and we all just enjoyed being out on the water on such a gorgeous day. Unfortunately, I learned that beautiful weather (no clouds) actually makes the water rockier. I started feeling some motion sickness, but as long as I stayed up on the deck with wind blowing in my face and doing what I called "candle blowing" breathing (like they teach in Lamaze), I was o.k.

The boys had fun hanging out on the bed and at the table eating all their snacks. They both ended up falling asleep for quite a while... I think the lull of the water was just too much for them. Ziya did great the entire time. She spent her time exploring the boat and getting passed around from arm to arm.

We did see some excitement towards the end of our outing. Coach put a large tote with the anchor in it up on the stern of the boat. His wife cautioned him against this... Anyway, as the water got rockier and rockier, we could all see that it was about to fall off. He handed me the wheel and balanced his way out to try to save the anchor. Well, long story short, the anchor fell in, Jacob had to quickly hand me Ziya so he could go out and assist Joe. In the panic of things, my arm somehow hit the accelerator and we lurched forward. Fortunately for all of us, this caused the rope to get cut somehow and we lost the anchor. It could have been bad... real bad if that rope hadn't got cut. I'm thankful for the blessing of safety.

We saw some really big fish being cleaned back up at the boat launch area. I was curious, so I asked. Most people told me that they'd caught all their fish early in the morning. We simply got there too late. That's my explanation!

No comments: