Sunday, August 3, 2008

I'm Looking For a Word

 


There are some words that just don't translate from one language to another. VOLADO/A is one of these (Spanish). It's the emotion or reaction that you get from somebody when they do something that they are really proud of but that they really don't want to admit. They'll do it over and over because they love the reaction they get from others, but they won't admit that they love it. I was trying to explain it to a friend the other day and the closest words we could come up with were BASHFUL and COY. But these don't really capture the essence of VOLADO/A (volado for a male, volada for a female).

Abraham and I have a cute little game that we've been playing all summer long. Whenever we are outside and he spots a flower, he stops whatever he is doing and he picks a flower for me. Then he hides it behind his back, sneaks up to me and tells me he has a surprise for me. Of course, I always know what it is, but I act like I really have no idea what he's up to. He super-quickly gives me the flower and then runs away. I chase him down and smother him in kisses and tell him what a sweet boy he is and how much I love him. Then I put the flower in my hair so he can notice it and make comments about it. When I catch Abe, he does his little VOLADO face. He kind of puckers his lips as they turn upwards towards a smile he's trying not to let out and scrunches his shoulders.

I haven't been able to catch the VOLADO face on the camera, but here he is giving me one of his latest flowers. I love it, I just don't have an English word for it.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Pam Gomez said...

Abraham "is" a fountain, reserved with sprays of blossoms especially for materfamilias..

Liliana said...

Volado means "stoked"