Monday, July 20, 2009

4th of July






This was a very exciting 4th of July for my kids. Now that we actually see darkness (in Alaska, it's a bit pointless to do fireworks on the 4th of July because it never really gets dark enough!), we were able to go to Hayden Lake with Colomba and her family and my mom to watch an amazing fireworks show. We trespassed onto somebody's boat dock and just made ourselves at home on it - front row seats to the show that was done from a platform in the middle of the lake. Ziya was scared at first, but as long as Jacob was holding her, she was o.k., and Kenai simply nursed through the whole show (our solution to anything that might upset him!).

I enjoyed sitting a bit off to the side and reflecting on how grateful I am for my parents. Many years ago, they left Mexico in hopes of giving their soon-to-be four girls (my mom was pregnant when we moved) bounteous opportunities for a blessed life. They left everything that was comfortable for them and took a huge step into the unknown. Now all four of their daughters have a college education, are active in the Church and have healthy, happy families. I'm sure that we would have been o.k. in Mexico, but I am very proud to be an American. The next day in Church, I enjoyed singing my gratitude through some of our patriotic hymns. It was a good 4th of July.

1 comment:

Leacayoungart said...

That is beautiful. That is so fun to have it be dark to have fireworks.