Wednesday, December 3, 2008

This is What Became of Jacko

Remember Jacko? He was our Halloween jack-o-lantern.

When we lived in Idaho, a very "self-reliant" type of friend that I had taught me to make pumpkin butter (with pumpkins that she grew in her own garden!). I kept the recipe but never honestly thought that I'd use it. Well, as I watched our pumpkin start to get soft, I decided to put on my brave chef's hat (it's just imaginary!) and give the pumpkin butter a try. It wasn't so hard... especially with the help of my home-made costume Spiderman and his cute little sister. I froze the pumpkin butter and for Thanksgiving, I used it to make two pumpkin pies (homemade crust, too... I even impressed myself with this one) and (get this) a White Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake (my new pastry chef friend shared this decadent recipe - o.k., o.k. she also helped me with the crusts). Ai, ai, aieeeee! I didn't get any pictures of the end results, but the couple of extra pounds I gained speak for themselves!

2 comments:

Thomas Family said...

Wow. I'm coming back to Alaska just so you can teach me how to do that!

Vernon 5 said...

sounds good!