Saturday, July 26, 2008

Coolest Club A Kid Can Belong To

 


A few weeks ago, Angeline posted about her kids' visit to the dentist. I started feeling guilty that my 4 and 5 year olds still have never been to visit the dentist and vowed that before summer was over, I'd get them there. I know that I need to establish dentist habits with my kids, but that's a hard thing for me since I never had, and still don't have, that habit. See, I grew up hardly ever going to the dentist and my parents not making a fuss about my teeth... but still having great teeth.

Well, parenting is sometimes about teaching your kids to make better decisions than you've made, right? We got in on a cancellation today to see an Anchorage pediatric dentist who comes to the peninsula a couple times per month. She, and her dental assistant, were both amazing. Ammon and Abraham, who are both as shy as shy can be around strangers, were immediately made to feel comfortable and trusting of both women. They got to choose from an array of cool kid sunglasses so that they could block out the bright light she was going to put in their face. They also got a detailed explanation about the mouse camera, its tail, its spit cover and the giraffe camera that would just give their cheek a little hug. They got to pick out stickers for each amazing thing that they did and when they collected three stickers, they got to go to the prize drawer (which surprisingly, was full of really cool toys!).

The coolest thing about the visit is that both boys now know that they officially belong to the coolest club a kid can belong to: THE NO CAVITY CLUB!!! I'm so proud of Ammon and Abraham! They're move convinced than ever now of a few important facts of life: 1) we should eat our fruits and not drink them (the dentist strongly advised against fruit juices) 2) even though they are getting to be big boys, mom and dad still have to help them brush their teeth 3) they must get into the habit of flossing (this one is going to be hard for me!).

I'm so glad that we didn't have to have a nightmare experience for our first dentist visit. I just hope the positive vibe carries over to their first cleaning, which will be in about a month!

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry B, Pero a mi tampoco me llevaron con el dentista cuando estaba chiquita. Y todavia no me gusta ir.
Me encantaron las fotos. Ammon se ve bien seriecito y el Abe como siempre, sonriendo. Love, Mom

9 of Us said...

Hey Munyers! Our kids go to the same dentist office, they are so wonderful!! Glad all went well and hooray for you and no cavities. The cleanings will go great!

Leacayoungart said...

That is so nice that they had a good experience.

Cool glasses. =)

Unknown said...

NO cavities!! Thats awesome, what big boys!

joni said...

Try out those plastic flossers for your kids. They work great and save time and energy...

Presley family said...

What cool boys!!! Yeah don't feel to bad Regan went this past year for the first time. That is awesome that they got good check ups!!

Robyn said...

Yeah Abraham and Ammon! Keep up the perly white habits!

Pam Gomez said...

This is the coolest club and the sunglasses are a great touch and helpful diversion.