Friday, July 25, 2008

Frustration Turned Delicious



Last night Raquel and I went out dipnetting. We went out at about 9pm and had to be out of the water at 11pm when dipnetting closes. Although there were not a huge amount of fish being caught, at one point, I did stop to realize that every single person around me had caught at least one fish in the time that I'd been there. This was frustrating. At about 2 minutes before closing time, I felt a fish in my net. I quickly turned my net and started running towards the shore. I got to the sand and could still feel the fish struggling... then he was gone! Just like that! Two hours of my life just swam away before my very eyes. Talk about frustrating.

The Youngs felt sorry for me and sent me home with a fillet (Raquel caught two fish while we were out there... she seems to be the lucky one in any group she's with!). I cooked it up tonight with a recipe that my college roommate put on a comment on my post about dipnetting. It was beyond delicious! I had to take a picture because just smelling it out of the broiler, I knew it was going to be awesome. Here's the recipe again from Shirley (a.k.a. Cheerly girl).

Salmon with Hoisin Glaze
• 1 tablespoon orange juice
• 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
• 2 teaspoons honey
• Coarse salt and pepper
• 4 salmon steaks (8 to 10 ounces each), 1 inch thick
1. Heat broiler. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together orange juice, hoisin sauce, and honey.
2. Place salmon on foil in a rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Brush half of the hoisin sauce mixture over to coat.
3. Broil salmon about 4 inches from the heat source, basting once, until opaque in center, 10 to 13 minutes.

If you're in to salmon, you've got to try this one. She also included another recipe that I haven't tried yet. I'm sure it's delicious, too! While we were eating tonight, I paid tribute to my good friend Shirley and told my kids some fun stories about her. Thanks Cheerly girl!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Leacayoungart said...

That sounds delicious. I need more salmon recipes. I keep doing the same ones over and over.

Anonymous said...

Wow B,

Se ve delicioso. Hasta casi lo puedo oler. Tambien quisiera pegarle una mordida. Love.

Shirley Morris said...

OK, what beans did you spill about me? How about the first time your alarm clock went off and I ran across the room to attack it. Luckily you got to it before I did, but I continued running, passed it and into the bathroom. :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe from Everyday Food. The picture looks delicious! Buen provecho!

munyer jerk chicken said...

yeah cheerly girl, you were a fun roommate. and yes, that was a crazy alarm clock. i think my track coach gave it to me for graduation and boy, was it loud! since we were talking about food when i told my boys the cheerly girl stories, they got to hear about your "creative" ways to save money... like popcorn with milk for breakfast. the kids thought that sounded great. they want to try it!

Shirley Morris said...

I forgot about that one. I still love rice and milk with a touch of sugar. Yum!