Sunday, July 6, 2008

Cabins, ATVs, Guns... and Bears









Jacob was asked to do "bear patrol" at Girl's Camp for our Ward (a.k.a., a Priesthood leader). This is funny, since his favorite story to tell whenever our tough Alaskan male friends start talking about guns is that the only time he's ever held a gun was in the Los Angeles riots when he had to help protect his White grandfather's business! Anyway, he borrowed a very big gun from another ward member, packed up our two boys and our extremely gun and bear saavy friend, Cameron, and off they went. I actually dropped them off because I needed the car, and on the drive out, we spotted a bear not even a mile from the camp. It was a small one, but regardless, this made me more than just a tad nervous.

When I went back out the next evening to pick them all up, I was thankful to find that they were all well. Then... the boys started telling me their adventures. "And all four of us got on the ATV and we went looking for bears and we saw one and Cameron started chasing it..." I made them stop telling me their stories right about then! In this case, ignorance was bliss for me.

I got to ride the ATV with the boys, and I must say that their excitement was quite contagious! As we bounced over bumps in the road, Abe shouted out to me, "WE NEED TO BUY A CABIN AND AN ATV AND A GUN!" I guess we'd better start saving our pennies! Before leaving, they got to shoot a beebee gun into the water. What a thrill. These boys are really turning into quite the Alaskan adventurers!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Leacayoungart said...

The other day the boys were telling me all about the gun that Jacob had. They are too cute!