Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Blue Light Special



I had my bags packed, I was dressed in normal clothes and I was totally ready to leave the hospital and take my new baby home this morning so we could start our big party of six thing. Then the pediatrician showed up... and thought that Kenai looked a little too yellow. So he had some blood drawn and sure enough, Kenai's billirubin level is borderline high. So we are staying in the hospital for 24 hours more so that Kenai can get what one nurse called "the blue light special." He is hanging out on a special blue light that will help his little body metabolize the billirubin easier. We are also on a stricter nursing schedule (every 2 hours without fail) and we're weighing diapers to make sure that he is expelling everything that needs to come out. He's being a trooper. I'm kind of bummed because I'm supposed to have him on the light as much as possible; which means that as soon as we're done nursing, I have to put him right back in his little stratjacket - so while I'm hanging out here in this too quiet hospital room, I can't even hold my baby! At the same time though, I'm thankful for an observant doctor who decided to take the safe route. He'll get his billirubin level checked first thing tomorrow morning and hopefully then, we'll really be on our way home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He looks so sweet but kind of like he has water running through his jammies.

Vernon 5 said...

Thanks for the new pictures Bere. I really want to hold Kenai...my new little nephew!! I want to kiss those chubby cheeks too! He totally looks like you in the bottom picture. I somehow remember what you looked like when you were a baby. I know I was 3 when you were born but I remember Mom sitting in her rocking chair with you giving you your bottle and then how you looked in your crib when she set you down....he looks like you.

arroyo fam said...

Bere, Congrats... you got that little chunk out of you ... wow, 9 lbs! = ) We're so excited for your family. We love you guys and hopefully we'll be able to see you sometime in the near future. Give hugs to everyone for us.

The Gray Family said...

poor little guy...and poor mommy :>) Glad everyone is doing better!