Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Eagles in Our "Front Yard"





One of the things I love about living downstairs is that we now have an exterior door with a direct view out to the bluff (overlooking the point where the Kenai River and the Cook Inlet meet). We see a lot more of the neighborhood happenings because of this... including the bald eagle action. On this beautiful sunny morning, one of our tenants alerted us that we just couldn't miss this "grandfather of an eagle" sitting out on the bluff. We sneaked up on him and took some pictures. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous and I did make a mental escape plan in case he came and tried to swoop away my little Ziya (I've heard some crazy big eagle stories). Anyway, he sure was beautiful. I wish I knew how to post videos from my other camera because there is amazing footage of the eagle compared to other "normal sized" birds. He was HUGE!
Amazingly enough, the very same day, we watched as a humongous baby eagle landed on a trash can just across the way at the little Hansen Scout Park. We also watched him for a while. What amazing creatures. I still haven't done it, but watching these two incredible birds for a while, really made me want to do a bit of research and learn more about them.

2 comments:

robin marie said...

cool!

i saw an eagle in our front yard and christian doesn't believe me! but i really really did!

Leacayoungart said...

Amazing shot! You do have an eye for this. He is huge and you can see that in this shot. Well done!