Friday, April 24, 2009

Abe DID turn 5!

Way, way back on March 24, my little Abraham turned 5 years old. A few days after that, he turned 6 (that's because we had a party for him on the 28th and he thought it was his real birthday all over again!). Now he keeps asking me why I won't let him go to kindergarten at Kaleidoscope. His reasoning is that he has fulfilled all the necessary requirements -- i.e. he went to the health clinic and had 5 shots (and didn't even cry!) AND he had his 5th birthday. In his eyes, I'm just not letting him go yet. I try to explain the whole scholastic year thing, but he just thinks I want to keep him at home forever. He's a funny kid who is totally enjoying finally being five!

He started his birthday morning with memory loss. He didn't even remember that it was his birthday until Ammon reminded him. Well... then there was no stopping him! It was immediately to the first gifts of the day - all Star Wars, of course! He got an Obi-Wan Kenobi action figure and an outfit to wear for his special day.

That night, we had Mardi, Marissa and Victor over for Abraham's birthday dinner. The menu? Chicken and pancakes! Weird, I know, but this was his request... and he ate all of it!!!
We sang to Abe and he blew out all his candles. Then he and Ammon had fun sticking their faces in the cake. I've failed at trying to explain that we usually only encourage one-year-olds to do this!


On the 28th, we combined with Abe's little friend Sydney and had a joint birthday party. This is the "Barbie meets Star Wars" invitation I made. Abraham had some reservations about his invitation having Barbie on it and about the whole concept of sharing his party with a girl, but we convinced him that it was alright and he ended up having a fantastic time.

I worked hard to make a clone trooper cake to fit the Star Wars theme of his half of the party. I was pretty proud of my own accomplishment (I should know better!), so I was flabbergasted when I showed Abe the cake at the party and he had a hard time figuring out what it was! I also heard one party guest (an adult female, I should add) wondering if it was a tuxedo of some sort. My only redemption was that the adult males knew exactly what it was. Come on, it even had a voice box on it!!! Anyway, I had fun making it!



The party games were a hit. Abe's extremely talented cousin, Marissa, drew a poster of Anakin Skywalker and the boys played "put the light saber on Anakin" while the girls made beaded bracelets. Then they switched and had a great time all the same!

Anybody who knows Abe knows that Star Wars is an obsession for him right now. So he was ecstatic to find so many new and very cool Star Wars gifts. He got lots of other cool gifts, too (for which I am extremely grateful... since they break the monotony I sometimes feel about S.W.!).
We all had a great week helping Abraham to celebrate his birthday. He is constantly reminding me of all the cool things he can do "because I'm five now, you know!" What a magical age this is for him. I'm grateful for the blessing that this little five-year-old is in my life.

9 comments:

Thomas Family said...

Happy Birthday Abe! I'm impressed Bere - two birthday party's, two birthday cakes - what a lucky boy.

Chelsey said...

That's funny that he wanted to go to school right away. Ben did the same thing. The day after his birthday he was ready with his backpack and all. It took a while to convince him that it wasn't time for him to start school until after summer. I thought the star wars cake looked great!

Little Grams said...

Happy Happy Birthday Abraham!!!
I wonder what Darth Vader looked like when he was five?
Little Grandma and Grandpa love you with all our hearts.

LA Law said...

Your cake looked WONDERFUL!!

The Gray Family said...

I could DEFINITELY tell what the cake was, and I can't even hear the voice box :>) Happy birthday to your little man! How have you been feeling? Not much longer now...

-Rachel said...

I wish Abe was going to Kaliedescope too! ;) We're sure going to miss you guys.
Bere I could totally tell that was a Storm Trooper cake! (Of course I'm a big fan) TJ had a blast at the game, and let me know that he didn't want girl cake. I guess that means he ate storm trooper cake too. :)

Unknown said...

Too cute, that is the strangest dinner request I have heard! (I do the same thing with my kids)

Vernon 5 said...

Abe's party looks like it rocked!! The cake was way cool too! I totally knew what it was before I read about it....so there you go!

arroyo fam said...

What a cool bday... and i knew what the cake was and i'm a girl, too. = ) You'll have to tell Abe that Abby went to disneyland the other day and was trained as a jedi, but when it came time to fight darth vader she cowarded in the back behind the other kids and cried. she was terrified. I know if he was there he would've kicked his booty!